What does this mean?
Surrounded by Cedar is one of twenty three delegated aboriginal agencies in the Province of British Columbia and one of three urban agencies. As a Delegated Aboriginal Agency, Surrounded by Cedar is governed by the Child, Family and Community Services Act (CFCSA) and the Aboriginal Operational Practice Standards and Indicators (AOPSI). SCCFS’s current Delegation Confirmation Agreement enables the agency to provide Voluntary and Guardianship services as well as develop programming and services for Child Protective Services in the Urban Aboriginal community.
Currently, SCCFS provides Guardianship and Resource services for urban Aboriginal children who are in the continuing custody of the Director. Social workers are responsible for ensuring children have knowledge of their rights as children in care and also provide culturally appropriate planning for children and youth in our care.
Levels of Delegation
C3 Family Support Services:
- Foster care (residential resources) service development
- Support services for families (cultural programs and counselling)
C4 Guardianship and Resource Services:
- Legal guardianship for children in permanent care of the Director
- Permanency planning for children in care
- Cultural planning for children in care
- Transition planning for independence
- Home studies for potential care providers
- Support to caregivers for children in the care of the Director