Surrounded by Cedar Child and Family Services is pleased to offer our Aboriginal Child and Youth Counselling program. This program consists of two parts. The first is our group program which consists of four ten week group sessions a year for urban Aboriginal children in care, their caregivers and families.
The group sessions will cover a range of topics, with a focus on the development of a positive Aboriginal identity, normalizing the experience of being in care, and creating appropriate support systems and resources for the children and youth. The groups will generally be divided by gender and age.
- Independent Living Skills for Youth
- Life Skills including conflict resolution, budgeting, cooking, community, resources
- Roots Summer Cultural Camp
- Drum making, paddle painting, fishing, medicine walks and crab feast
- Strong Women’s Group – for young women
- Positive relationships, healthy risks, the strength of women
- Boys Children in Care group
- Life book development, anti-racism workshops, lacrosse skills
- Girls Children in Care group
- Button blanket making, non-violent communication, rights of children in care
Our child and youth counsellor is also able to offer individual cultural support to children and youth around issues of:
- Conflict resolution
- Anger management
- Social skills development
- Relationship building
- Issues of being in care
If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact Jennifer Dreyer at (250) 383-2990.
*Note : SCCFS is working on content to update this section of the website.